Thursday, February 26, 2009

perspective

My children faced the fact that they weren't getting cell phones a long time ago. They asked for them, begged for them and both their father and I said no. They begged that their friends had them, I said oh well. They pleaded with me that it would make them cool, still I said oh well. Their aunty bought them track phones and they used up their minutes, I said they'd have to save up. I lived 27 years without a cell phone there wasn't a single reason they needed one at 10 or at 12.

Then last week I get home late from work and the little one (kid, who is 10 btw) isn't there yet. I didn't even realize this I guess for I sat checking my mail and whatnot for nearly 45 min. before I said to the sister "where is the little one?". Quickly, quietly, and concisely she replies to me "not home". I glance at the clock. 4:45.

To some this may be no big thing, it might even be expected. But in this house this is unheard of. These children are always home by 3:30 unless I have received a phone call. So immediately I break into a sweat. I glance at the clock, then the phone, then the sister. What to do????

I go for a drive to have a little look see. Up and down, back and forth, through parking lots, alley ways, abandoned business locales. I return home at 5:30 and snag the big one for a ride along. Where would she be. We go to the first friends house....she says the little one rode the bus. Now I really freak out. If she rode the bus she would be home immediately. That is now 2 hours and 15 minutes of unaccounted for time. Do you know what a pervert can do to a child in 2 and a quarter hours???? Unfortunately I do. This thought pushes me over the edge.

I am now forced to do the absolute unthinkable thing and call the ex. I would rather chew the sole of my foot off than go to this guy for help but he is automatically in full on panic mode and orders me to contact the police, and tells me he's on his way. The first time in 4 years I see this as a positive thing. I contact the police, they are now looking as well.

Near tears I am driving in the direction of my home. It is dark now and I am but a few blocks away. I am looking at the houses we drive past knowing that she would have walked this route home from the bus, wondering which one of these houses she is in and how I will find her.

Then I glance to the left and see the shadow image of a short slender figure dragging something behind it coming down the sidewalk. The tears well in my eyes and I pull up next to her. She climbs in and says "hi mom" with a big smile on her face.

I went right out and got both those girls cell phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment